Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
SVS News / Re: SAVE THE DATE! SVS 2020 in Chicago, IL, USA
« Last post by Laffins on February 24, 2020, 06:41 AM »
Any official updates on SVS 2020 at this point, Caleb?
SVS News / Re: SVS 2020 CALL FOR PAPERS:
« Last post by BeauMDavidson on January 21, 2020, 08:40 AM »
Is there a way to verify that a submission has been received? 
It hasn’t been officially published. I wrote it for the 2019 SVS conference and presented it there.
Hi Bill,

Thank you!

I had tried to attach the paper in my initial post, but it still says "Attachments awaiting approval," presumably by a moderator. I've tried attaching it again here and we'll see if it comes through this way.

Haley
I really appreciated this paper. Is there a copy available here or somewhere else?

The SVS Program Committee is pleased to announce

the Call For Papers for the SVS 2020 Annual Meeting,

being held April 16-18, 2020

at Evanston Vineyard in Chicago, Illinois, USA.

Download the Call For Papers

The central theme of this year’s meeting is “Hearing, Seeing, and Remembering As The People of God.” Together we will explore hearing, seeing, and remembering as theological, biblical, spiritual, pastoral, historical, and embodied practices.

This year, our broad interdisciplinary conversations will focus around the following themes:

• Listening and Remembering in the Vineyard and Beyond 

• Seeing Through A Trinitarian Lens

• Hearing and Seeing In Biblical Texts

• Women in the Vineyard

Seminar-style conversations will focus on (at least) the following topics,:

• Jesus Is The Answer, But What Is The Question?

• What Does Justice Look Like? What Does Justice Sound Like?

• “Do You See This Woman?” (Luke 7:44)

• Charismatic Sacramental Theology

• The Holy Spirit Before Christianity: A Book Review Panel with Dr. Jack Levison

• Remembering In Leadership Transitions

• Listening To Indigenous Voices

• Listening, Discernment, and Spiritual Practices

• And more…

This year, in partnership with Vineyard Justice Network, SVS 2020 will feature several sessions that explore the intersections of our theological investigation with the practical work of pursuing God’s justice.

Finally, as always, we welcome artistic engagements with any of the conference themes.

To see a full description of these themes, as well as to find out how to submit proposals to SVS 2020, download the Call For Papers today.

All proposals are due by January 15, 2020.

For all the most current information and all further details about SVS 2020, visit [url]https://www.vineyardscholars.org/annual-conference/[/url]  More  will follow soon, including registration information, hotel information, travel information, etc.

For now, check out the Call For Papers and think about what you will propose!

See you in Chicago!

Abstract:

The Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:26-40 is often understood by modern interpreters as incapable of being Jewish, either because he is Ethiopian or because he is a eunuch. In this paper, I review the major scholarly positions on the Ethiopian eunuch’s religious identity, then I analyze the literary structure of Acts with this question in mind, and finally I consider possible historical reconstructions of the Ethiopian eunuch’s background. I argue that the best understanding of the Ethiopian eunuch’s religious identity is that he is Jewish. This understanding aligns with Luke’s portrayal of God’s activity among people with many different national belongings, both within God’s chosen people of Israel historically and within the emerging Christian community which Luke views as being in continuity with it. This understanding also matches Luke’s depiction of marginal figures who are part of God’s people and are able to become disciples of Jesus, even before God’s revelation to Peter that Gentiles too may be included. The Ethiopian eunuch is thus not only capable of being Jewish, even while having a diaspora nationality and a marginal sexual status, but also an important part of Luke’s message that God’s people has always been richly diverse.

The full paper is attached to this post.
SVS News / SAVE THE DATE! SVS 2020 in Chicago, IL, USA
« Last post by Caleb Maskell on September 11, 2019, 09:33 PM »

SAVE THE DATE!

SVS 2020 will be hosted at Evanston Vineyard in Chicago, IL, USA.

Full announcement coming soon here and on social media.

Follow SVS on Facebook and Twitter

Abstract:
This paper discusses some of the unique challenges that trauma poses to the experience of faith, hope, and love in the church. It explores some of the fruitful integrative overlap found between the respective pursuits of holistic healing in the Vineyard and in EMDR, a particularly powerful form of psychotherapy used to treat the often faith-, hope-, and love-inhibiting impacts of trauma and other adverse life experiences. The paper begins with some foundational education about the nature and impacts of trauma (attentive to some relevant theological and ecclesiological intersections), progresses to an exploration of the purposes, processes, and theoretical underpinnings of EMDR psychotherapy, and closes with an integrative discussion addressing some noteworthy similarities between EMDR and the Vineyard prayer model.

The full paper is attached to this post.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10