The Language of the Kingdom: academic writing, the parables of Jesus, and poetry

Started by Matte Downey, August 28, 2017, 04:52 PM (Read 1526 times)

Matte Downey

• Occasional Poster

more info...

• Academic discipline: Interdisciplinary
  • Church: Vineyard Montreal
  • IP: Logged
Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:01 PM by Jon Stovell

Abstract:

The language of theology is, for most of us, academic language, but is this the most appropriate language by which to explain the kingdom of God? We frame our theological ideas in terms of theses, dialectics, and well-reasoned arguments, but are we losing something in the process when we translate biblical narratives and poetry into more structured, analytical forms? How do we reconcile our learned discourses with the simple but profound parables of Jesus meant for the ears of illiterate folk? In looking at the languages of the kingdom, I will begin with a mild critique of academic theological writing, showing how its method is at times out of sync with its message. Second, I will show how the parables found in Matthew 13, by which Jesus reveals (and obscures) the nature of the kingdom of heaven, are poetic narratives which invite the listener not only to ponder the words but to live in the world created by the words. Finally, I will read a short, original poem inspired by Psalm 127 in order to illustrate that poetic language can serve theology well as a carrier of meaning and revelation.

The full paper is attached to this post.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Matte Downey. The Language(s) of the Kingdom - academic writing, the parables of Jesus, and spoken word poetry.pdf
Matte Downey
Vineyard Montreal
PhD, Concordia University