Sacrament

Started by Steve Burnhope, April 17, 2015, 02:37 PM (Read 2390 times)

Tags:

Steve Burnhope

• Prolific Poster

more info...

• PhD (King's College London). MA Hermeneutics (LST)
  • Academic discipline: Systematic theology
  • Church: Aylesbury Vineyard Church, UK
  • IP: Logged
Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 07:42 AM

I wonder whether people have given much thought to the role of communion. In particular, how we think that Jesus expected and intended communion to be, and the early church understood it to be, in terms of a widely participatory experience. Specifically, how limited a participating group, and what qualifications required of those who participate, did Jesus and the early church have in mind?

If we think of communion in the sacramental sense, we might say that (a) it is something Jesus told us to do, (b) it's something we physically do (we participate in) and (c) God is particularly present in it, in some special way, when we do so. Hence, we encounter Jesus in it.

It does not seem unreasonable to suggest that the goal of our Services in the Vineyard is that people would encounter Jesus in worship, through the preaching of the word and through ministry. Everyone is welcomed and encouraged to come to Jesus and experience Jesus. In all those practices, we maximise inclusivity, seeking that all may experience Jesus in them. And yet, the 'rules' we apply to communion often function in practice in an exclusionary sense rather than an inclusionary sense. Why?

Perhaps it's only because of a concern that people do not approach the communion table unworthily. However, is this really a primary concern of Paul, do we think (still less of Jesus)? In its context of a Pauline epistle to a particular church addressing specific contingencies, are we sure that what Paul said is to be applied as a generic warning to all and, specifically, as a significant deterrent (as it often serves, in practice)? Are we really sure that Paul was not simply speaking about selfishness and social exclusion in the organisation of the love feast in that church?

Participation in communion is two-fold in focus: an identification with Jesus in his life, death and resurrection, and an identification with his Body here and now. Could it be suggested that biblically-speaking we are permitted - indeed, encouraged - to invite all who want to say "yes" to these two understandings to participate in communion?

If the goal of a sacrament such as communion is that we might encounter Jesus, do we not want to maximise the number of those able to do so? Might it have been Jesus' intention in inaugurating communion to be drawing people in, rather than keeping people out? Is not the latter, however, what often happens in practice, due to the filtering we place on those who may participate?

My pastoral observation is that those who are uncertain of their status before God are already unlikely to participate. They self-exclude - more often than they ought to. They need an inclusive and encouraging invitation, rather than an exclusive and discouraging one. Have we perhaps created that negative/fear-centered mindset? Was that really Jesus' intention, or Paul's intention? Have we set a higher bar than they intended?

In the Vineyard we encourage belonging, welcoming and 'including' (come as you are, come and belong, before you believe and 'behave'), especially in relation to experiencing God in our Services and in identifying with the community of his Body. We make experiencing Jesus as accessible as possible. And yet, communion seems to be an exception - the question is whether it ought to be, or whether in fact the opposite should be the case.

<error>

• Occasional Poster

more info...

• Academic discipline: Unspecified
  • IP: Logged

Coming from the Methodist denomination here in the UK, I found that their "open table" was often misunderstand as something of a free for all: "If you fancy going and getting some of that bread and sweet juice then got for it!"

I think that a lot of theology is being lost because we have moved away from the liturgies that helped to pass on the meaning. Many churches hold up 1Cor 11 as the basis for Communion, thinking that this is the earliest text and therefore the best place to look for the original emphasis. My studies into it have caused me to conclude that Mark's account is earlier, Paul and Luke having a different form that devlops from Mark. That's why Paul says it was what he "received".

So, in Mark 14, the Lord's Supper is placed in the Passover context. Before they eat, there is the bit where they one after the oher say "it isn't me who will betray you". When we parallel Paul's "examine yourselves", we see that this is something they did before they would receive. It is something that liturgies maintained, until denominations started to ignore them. So why should we examine ourselves?

It's not that some are worthy and some aren't - That would be to forget about "grace". Jesus became the Passover because none are worthy. So it isn't worthiness but dedication that is being examined - Are we actually 'wanting' to be part of the body of Christ? As we take a part of the body and blood, we are not just receiving but declaring that "we are the body of Christ". We are re-affirming our part in the community who seek to be the body on earth through which the Spirit continues the mission of Christ. It's serious stuff. It's the "new covenant". This is THE part in the Gospel where the "new covenant" is mentioned.

So there's a decision to make. It's a decision that all those who undergo baptism as believers should have first made at that point - when they start to follow. For this reason, baptism should come before Communion. Paul talks of Communion being for all who are baptised in Christ. When we realise that Communion is about the covenant, it should seem quite logical that the first thing to do is get baptised - naturally before Comminoin - that should be the way round and that's why baptism has been a precondition.

I won't go into more detail as I've got to go read a story to my youngest! But I hope that's a good starter.
It's not that Communion is "exclusive" but that it's serious and about the decision to turn from sin and follow Christ - again and again.

God bless!

Tags: