Moltmann in the Vineyard

Started by Tim McNinch, March 30, 2016, 07:08 AM (Read 7989 times)

Tags:
moltmann
svs

Tim McNinch

• Occasional Poster

more info...

• IP: Logged

Does anyone know if this is the first time a section of the SVS Annual Conference has been devoted to the work of a single theologian or scholar?

Thomas John Creedy

• Prolific Poster

more info...

• My Blog
  • Academic discipline: Systematic theology
  • Organization: South West London Vineyard Church
  • Church: South West London Vineyard

Alternate opinion - Moltmann is overrated...

But I'd still be interested to know!

BA, Theology and Religious, University of Nottingham
Discipleship Year, Trent Vineyard
MA in Mission + Ministry, St John's College, Nottingham
Theologian at Large, South West London Vineyard

Bethany Joy Kim

• Not just a brain on a stick
  • SVS Steering Committee
  • Hero Poster

more info...

• Organization: University of Notre Dame
  • Church: Vineyard City Church (Tucson)

In 2011 we had a panel on James K.A. Smith's Desiring the Kingdom, in 2012 we had an NT Wright book review panel (Scripture and the Authority of God), and last year we had a session devoted to Don Williams.

(Also, depending on how you want to count them, there have been numerous long-form papers devoted to the work of the presenter - Jason Clark and Matt Croasmun are the first two that come to mind.)

Tim McNinch

• Occasional Poster

more info...

Thanks, Bethany Joy! That's just the info I needed!

Bethany Joy Kim

• SVS Steering Committee
  • Hero Poster

more info...

Thanks, Bethany Joy! That's just the info I needed!

I can send you links for previous programs if you want. :) At some point it would be really interesting to do a study on who people interact with in their papers, since that's where it becomes more apparent who SVS people tend to read.

Partly why we decided to do a Moltmann panel this year is that there are a lot of SVS people who read him (a lot), but he hasn't come up much in papers previously. Personally, I've only just barely started reading Moltmann, and I don't know of anyone else on the program committee who has a particular affinity for his theology, so we have no "agenda" in asking for papers on him this year (besides wanting to explore why he's read by so many in the Vineyard). :)

Preliminary theories as to why so many SVSers read Moltmann: at least partly, this is probably related to the number of SVS people who have gone to Yale Div or are doing doctoral studies at Yale, where Miroslav Volf is located; he did two advanced degrees under Moltmann. (Fun fact, Yale Div was the first seminary in the US to have a "Vineyard" option on the "church affiliation" checkboxes on their application.) But there's got to be more to it than that, since people ranging from @Frank Emanuel to @Luke Geraty (neither of whom have Yale affiliations) have interacted with him quite a bit.

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

• Organization: Vineyard Canada
  • Church: North Calgary Vineyard

Alternate opinion - Moltmann is overrated...

Heh heh heh...

Moltmann has lots of great stuff to say. His ideas don't always work, but they're always good for expanding horizons and stimulating one's thinking.

Preliminary theories as to why so many SVSers read Moltmann: at least partly, this is probably related to the number of SVS people who have gone to Yale Div or are doing doctoral studies at Yale, where Miroslav Volf is located; he did two advanced degrees under Moltmann. (Fun fact, Yale Div was the first seminary in the US to have a "Vineyard" option on the "church affiliation" checkboxes on their application.) But there's got to be more to it than that, since people ranging from @Frank Emanuel to @Luke Geraty (neither of whom have Yale affiliations) have interacted with him quite a bit.

Moltmann has been a major figure in the foregrounding of eschatology in theology ever since the publication of Theology of Hope. He's developed a reputation for being a very creative and boundary-pushing thinker on most topics, and as theologians go, he's famous. So I don't think the Yale connection via Volf is all that significant. A lot of people in SVS have read Moltmann because a lot of people all over the place have read Moltmann and because Vineyard members have a predilection toward eschatologically conditioned modes of theologizing.

Bethany Joy Kim

• SVS Steering Committee
  • Hero Poster

more info...

Moltmann has been a major figure in the foregrounding of eschatology in theology ever since the publication of Theology of Hope. He's developed a reputation for being a very creative and boundary-pushing thinker on most topics, and as theologians go, he's famous. So I don't think the Yale connection via Volf is all that significant. A lot of people in SVS have read Moltmann because a lot of people all over the place have read Moltmann and because Vineyard members have a predilection toward eschatologically conditioned modes of theologizing.

Fair enough. :) Perhaps the better question is why I still haven't read very much of him... hopefully that will be changing soon, though.

Brock Bingaman

• Occasional Poster

more info...

Hello SVS friends,

I've been reading the comments about Moltmann and would like to add something. First, I wrote my dissertation on him and Maximus the Confessor (their trinitarian-christocentric visions of the human calling in the world). Some scholars see many parallels between Moltmann and Hans Urs von Balthasar. In that vein, Moltmann has critically engaged Orthodox theology in remarkable ways, opening up new vistas for Protestant ressourcement theology. Second, the Volf-Moltmann link is indeed key. Volf's theological vision, as he freely says, has been marked by Moltmann from his first monograph on. He is training, as you know, many systematic theologians (directly at Yale and indirectly through his writings and lectures). Thus, the influence of Moltmann extends through Volf, and many others who have studied his work. Yes, there are weaknesses in Moltmann's theology, as with all. But he has engaged more theological traditions, ideas, and movements than most Protestant theologians: Catholic, Orthodox, Feminist, Cone's Black Theology, Asian, Latino/a Theology, religion and science dialogue, ecology, atheism, etc. He even pioneered political theology. Like Balthasar, his is a truly "cosmic theology." For Moltmann, theology is "an adventure," not a system. Some fault him for this (i.e. his method), but others find it refreshing and prescient of post-modern eclecticism and anti-systematization. My review of his autobiography touches on these things: https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1P3-1548768381/a-broad-place-an-autobiography. I look forward to the discussions in a few weeks! BB   

Frank Emanuel

• Hero Poster

more info...

• Where the Spirit of God is, there is freedom!
    • The Eclectic Life
  • Organization: Saint Paul University
  • Church: Vineyard Ottawa

I was delighted to be part of the Moltmann panel. What struck me as healthy is that all of the papers, great papers BTW, dealt in some way with the challenge of using Moltmann as an evangelical. I thought the topic of the session - reading Moltmann in the Vineyard was helpful for framing what was being done. Moltmann is read widely by evangelicals today. But some of this engagement is less critical than it needs to be. So apart from the thorough going eschatological appeal for VIneyard scholars - Moltmann also demonstrates a mutual engagement with evangelicals and even American evangelicals. When he spoke to the emerging church leaders in Chicago a few years back he knew what they were wrestling with and even how they were trying to use his works.

I'd really be interested in seeing more panels based on thinkers influencing the Vineyard. I picked up a fair bit of von Balthasar (not just from @Matte Downey ) in the air at SVS, a panel on reading a Catholic theologian like that in the Vineyard could be quite profound.

-----
Frank L. Emanuel, Ph.D.
Sessional Professor Saint Paul University
Communications Officer Canadian Theological Society
opinons expressed reflect my own personal views and not those of any of the organizations I represent.

Brock Bingaman

• Occasional Poster

more info...

Agreed, Frank. The Moltmann papers were rich and thought provoking. The Balthasar focus would be excellent! He has become one of the most important ecumenical voices over the past 20 years, eh? Like Moltmann, he has engaged so many fronts and themes in theology.

Bethany Joy Kim

• SVS Steering Committee
  • Hero Poster

more info...

I'd really be interested in seeing more panels based on thinkers influencing the Vineyard. I picked up a fair bit of von Balthasar (not just from @Matte Downey ) in the air at SVS, a panel on reading a Catholic theologian like that in the Vineyard could be quite profound.

Yes please!!! I would love to see this happen. @Frank Emanuel and @Brock Bingaman not sure if you read my Anaheim or Columbus papers (even Media had this a little, but in less obvious ways), but I've engaged HUVB a ton (thanks to a Notre Dame education) and would love to be part of this conversation. But definitely engaging him from a "Vineyard" perspective.

Tags:
moltmann
svs