Putting together a policy think-tank

Started by Jon Stovell, April 25, 2016, 07:42 PM (Read 7421 times)

Tags:

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

• Academic discipline: Systematic theology
  • Organization: Vineyard Canada
  • Church: North Calgary Vineyard
  • IP: Logged
Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:03 PM

As I mentioned in my presentation, the reason I presented my paper, "Officially Enacting Vineyard Ecclesiology: Policy Recommendations for Developing Position Papers and Alternative Responses to Theological Controversy", at SVS 2016 is that I hope some other SVS members will want to collaborate with me to develop this initial offering into a fuller set of policy recommendations to assist the international Vineyard community in the future.

To that end, I'd like to gather a group of interested SVS members to think about and further develop this material. If it goes well, I envision the result to be a report that we could present by SVS 2017 that would give AVCs around the world some solid resources.

At a minimum, I think the task of this think-tank would be:

• To further consider the recommendations in the paper's initial formulation and see how they might need to be modified, expanded, augmented, or replaced.
  • To expand the scope of the discussion from just discerning when one or another type of position paper is warranted to offering recommendations about how to carry out alternative forms of response to theological controversy.

If there are enough people interested, perhaps we'll put together a working group discussion board here on the forum in order to start digging in. What do you say, folks? Anyone interested in doing some applied ecclesiology?

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

Does that like mean you are interested in participating, @Brian Metzger? :)

Billie Hoard

• SVS Member
  • Prolific Poster

more info...

• My Blog - Heaven and Earth Questions
  • Academic discipline: Philosophy

Not sure if this is (or should be?) open to non-currently-Vineyard-attending members, but if it is, I'm game! It's an important and exiting project.

"Be comforted, small immortals. You are not the voice that all things utter, nor is there eternal silence in the places where you cannot come."
       - C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:51 AM

I should think that, as with most things in the Vineyard, qualification to participate as "one of us" depends on sharing the vision, values, and mission of the Vineyard and maintaining strong relational ties with fellow Vineyard members. Congregational attendance is one way to do the latter, but not the only way. The pertinent question, @Bill Hoard, is whether you would consider yourself to be a member of the Vineyard.

Brian Metzger

• Frequent Poster

more info...

• Educating Brian
  • Academic discipline: Applied theology (pastoral)
  • Church: Raleigh Vineyard

Jon, I am intrigued by the idea.  I am not a theologian but I can offer a pastoral perspective.  I am especially eager to see the SVS have an opportunity to weigh in on such things as you are describing.

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

Pastoral perspectives will be extremely important, @Brian Metzger. When we're talking about policies and such, we're talking about applied theology, after all. :)

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

@Thomas Lyons, @Kyla Morgan Young, @Peter Benedict, @Steve Burnhope, and anyone else who asked questions during or after the session, are you interested pursuing this further together?

@Thomas John Creedy, @Luke Geraty, @Steven Lawrence Hamilton, @Matte Downey, @Frank Emanuel?

Bethany Joy Kim

• Not just a brain on a stick
  • SVS Steering Committee
  • Hero Poster

more info...

• Organization: University of Notre Dame
  • Church: Vineyard City Church (Tucson)

I'm interested. It might be a week or two before I'm healthy enough to contribute much, but count me in.

Brian Metzger

• Frequent Poster

more info...

• Educating Brian
  • Academic discipline: Applied theology (pastoral)
  • Church: Raleigh Vineyard

will @Thomas Lyons post his response to your paper here for us as well?

Billie Hoard

• SVS Member
  • Prolific Poster

more info...

• My Blog - Heaven and Earth Questions
  • Academic discipline: Philosophy

@Jon Stovell  Then I'm in!

"Be comforted, small immortals. You are not the voice that all things utter, nor is there eternal silence in the places where you cannot come."
       - C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

I'm interested. It might be a week or two before I'm healthy enough to contribute much, but count me in.

Great. I think your research on the centred-set concept and its various uses will be one really helpful contribution you could bring—though not the only one, of course. :)

will @Thomas Lyons post his response to your paper here for us as well?

I hope so.

@Jon Stovell  Then I'm in!

Excellent.

Frank Emanuel

• Hero Poster

more info...

• Where the Spirit of God is, there is freedom!
    • The Eclectic Life
  • Organization: Saint Paul University
  • Church: Vineyard Ottawa

You had me at policy.

-----
Frank L. Emanuel, Ph.D.
Sessional Professor Saint Paul University
Communications Officer Canadian Theological Society
opinons expressed reflect my own personal views and not those of any of the organizations I represent.

Keith Hovey

• Frequent Poster

more info...

• Academic discipline: Interdisciplinary
  • Church: Southside Vineyard (RIP)

I am interested in participating.  I don't know if my intellectual caliber is up to par for major contributions, but I can at least offer critical (and hopefully constructive!) feedback along the way.  I've got a knack for offering "outside-the-box" thoughts and for finding holes in ideology and practice.  But my dissidence falls short of  nihilism - so I may have something to offer.

"Pie Jesu Domine..."  *bonk*
"...Dona Eis Requiem" *bonk*

Tags: