The Jewish Ethiopian Eunuch: National&Religious Belonging&Marginality in Acts

Started by Haley Gabrielle, September 19, 2019, 10:54 AM (Read 7047 times)

Tags:

Haley Gabrielle

• Occasional Poster

more info...

• IP: Logged
Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:18 AM by Jon Stovell

Abstract:

The Ethiopian eunuch in Acts 8:26-40 is often understood by modern interpreters as incapable of being Jewish, either because he is Ethiopian or because he is a eunuch. In this paper, I review the major scholarly positions on the Ethiopian eunuch’s religious identity, then I analyze the literary structure of Acts with this question in mind, and finally I consider possible historical reconstructions of the Ethiopian eunuch’s background. I argue that the best understanding of the Ethiopian eunuch’s religious identity is that he is Jewish. This understanding aligns with Luke’s portrayal of God’s activity among people with many different national belongings, both within God’s chosen people of Israel historically and within the emerging Christian community which Luke views as being in continuity with it. This understanding also matches Luke’s depiction of marginal figures who are part of God’s people and are able to become disciples of Jesus, even before God’s revelation to Peter that Gentiles too may be included. The Ethiopian eunuch is thus not only capable of being Jewish, even while having a diaspora nationality and a marginal sexual status, but also an important part of Luke’s message that God’s people has always been richly diverse.

The full paper is attached to this post.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Haley Gabrielle. The Jewish Ethiopian Eunuch - National and Religious Belonging and Marginality in Acts.pdf

Billie Hoard

• SVS Member
  • Prolific Poster

more info...

• My Blog - Heaven and Earth Questions
  • Academic discipline: Philosophy

I really appreciated this paper. Is there a copy available here or somewhere else?

"Be comforted, small immortals. You are not the voice that all things utter, nor is there eternal silence in the places where you cannot come."
       - C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Haley Gabrielle

• Occasional Poster

more info...

Hi Bill,

Thank you!

I had tried to attach the paper in my initial post, but it still says "Attachments awaiting approval," presumably by a moderator. I've tried attaching it again here and we'll see if it comes through this way.

Haley

Tags: