Canon, Attribution and Texts of Terror

Started by Daniel L Heck, May 01, 2015, 01:41 AM (Read 4879 times)

Tags:

Daniel L Heck

more info...

• Academic discipline: Interdisciplinary
  • Church: Central Vineyard
  • IP: Logged

At the 2014 Society of Vineyard Scholars meeting, Amy Plantinga Pauw recommended that the herem warfare commands in Joshua should be read like Nathan’s cautionary parable to David in 2 Samuel 12. But is it appropriate to read an apparently positive historical account of divinely-ordained genocide as a cautionary parable? This paper considers some of the tensions that arise from this proposal, in light of the Vineyard’s core value of “the main and the plain” and the Vineyard USA’s statement of faith, which affirms inerrancy. After considering the Bible’s use of attributed statements in the Gospels, this paper suggests some ways in which Pauw’s recommendation, “main and plain” reading and the statement of faith might be reconciled.

The full paper is attached to this post as a PDF.

Note from administrator: Your SVS membership dues must be up to date in order to see the attached file.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Dan Heck. Canon, Attribution and Texts of Terror.pdf

Daniel L Heck

more info...

Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:55 AM

I'm grateful to have been included in this session, and I appreciated all of the interactions. In the spirit of continuing the conversation, I'd like to engage with Beth Stovell's very nice questions. Here goes :)

For Dan, “Exegesis eclipses semantic arguments about “inerrancy” and “inspiration.” (15). While I agree with where Dan is going with this, I wonder how Dan would construct a hermeneutical grid around this thinking. Did he not start with inerrancy and inspiration as grids for these questions? In a sense, isn’t it notions of inspiration that have caused Dan to describe God as main author and biblical authors as sub-authors? Does he see this vision of authorship as implicit in the biblical texts themselves? The answer seems to be: yes and no. Dan assumes inspiration is in a sense true, but doesn’t prove that it is true using biblical exegesis. So the answer is “no” and yet Dan’s concept of “sub-authorship” is based in part on his approach to Luke’s Gospel’s way of describing what authoring means.

This is a fair observation. I don't argue for a particular doctrine of inspiration or inerrancy in the paper. Instead, I adopt the VineyardUSA's stated position, uncritically, as a prior. My justification for this is, simply, that it is VineyardUSA's stated position, and I'm writing in service to the Vineyard, as a part of the Vineyard.

I suspect that this is a very un-Vineyard thing to do. In taking the SOF as seriously as the Bible, you might think that I've outed myself as a Catholic, treating mother church's pronouncements as divine. But that wouldn't be quite fair. Almost, but not quite. Instead, one of my main interests is in exploring whatever prior commitments people or institutions bring to a conversation, and finding surprising dimensions to these presuppositions. I think that we often critique and uphold priors, as if we are aware of the full possibility space that they define...but even seemingly narrow priors often have an astonishing degree of flexibility in them. So in that sense, I'm often more interested in evaluating priors in an a posteriori, rather than an a priori way. Or, less fancy, I usually like to eat pudding more than I like to parse the list of ingredients.

So I think Beth is absolutely right that I have assumed inerrancy and inspiration, and expanded on this notion by reflecting on God as an author. My hope is that this is actually a rather straightforward, simple and "obvious" expansion on the notion of inspiration...according to the rules of the game I'm playing, ideally it is little more than an articulation of part of the normal semantic range of "inspiration" or "being God-breathed." The idea is to say, "Wait a second...what does this actually mean?"

And I also think Beth is absolutely right, to suggest that I do not argue that a doctrine of Christian Biblical inspiration can be derived from the Bible itself. In fact, I think it is trivially obvious that Biblical inspiration can't be grounded in Scripture alone. After all, even if "all Scripture" is God-breathed, what is the body of Scripture that is being referred to? What constitutes the canon? Is it whatever Luther says, or whatever the Catholic Church says, or whatever the Ethiopian Orthodox Church says? Because none of these Bibles actually tell us. There is no inspired Index or Outline within the Bible. (Such a thing could, theoretically, exist for a holy book...but thats not the kind of holy book we have.) We should allow this to puzzle and trouble us. However, since I'm engaged in immanent critique here, my response is to say, "Even if sola scriptura is obviously self-defeating, I can quite happily ignore that, most of the time. Plenty of people do. What I'd like to know is this: what happens if I just go ahead and let all of these assertions float around together? After all, the moon and Earth are also 'incompatible' in the sense that both can't exist in the same place at the same time. But that doesn't stop them from floating around and mattering."

Yet, I would ask Dan whether the problem is not as much about author and sub-author, but about our modern need for an author to begin with. Why does so much rest on the notion of authorship, when this was a secondary concern in the ancient world? My suggestion is that ultimately this loops back to Dan’s assumptions about inspiration that ultimately are grounded in something besides exegesis itself. Thus, exegesis does not fully eclipse notions of inerrancy and inspiration, but our notions of these terms impact our exegesis and vice versa.

I appreciate where Beth is going here, and I do think it is worthwhile to interrogate notions of authorship. However, I also think it is worthwhile to interrogate all priors...and to search for new implicit priors to interrogate.

At the same time, I think it is also worthwhile to see where a prior might lead...taste the pudding. And I think that reflection on authorship and authorial intent (or imputed authorship and imputed authorial intent) makes some incredibly fine pudding. (Here, I'm thinking of the exploration of historical and grammatical contexts that have done so much to illuminate the possible meanings of Scripture for its original authors and audiences...and how wide the gap often is between their views of it, and our own.)

Turning back to my use of an "eclipse" metaphor, I think my previous answer helps clarify what I'm trying to say when I talk about an eclipse. I'm saying that if we allow "inerrancy," "inspiration" and the actual text of the Bible to float around together, the text of the Bible passes in front of many of our arguments about inerrancy and inspiration. In other words, the Bible itself covers whatever logical, exegetical and hermeneutical sins are to be found in that den of iniquity, the Chicago Statement on Inerrancy. The point here is that, viewed in the way articulated in my paper, one's position on inerrancy itself largely stops mattering. With a perfectly straight face, I can even affirm even Chicago Statement Inerrancy, and "main and plain" reading and read Joshua in a way that is clearly anti-genocide. After I'm done saying this with a straight face, you're certainly entitled to laugh. But I would argue that the logic is all perfectly sound, the exegetical judgments are perfectly defensible, and the Bible seems to cooperate with me a lot more easily than it cooperates with those who disagree with me. I hope that what I'm suggesting sounds funny, ludicrous, simple, obvious and true. That is just the way the best truth always sounds.

In future work, I would love to see Dan explain his notions of inspiration with God as ultimate author derive from exegesis itself. It seems to me that Dan’s approach is something akin to Pete Enn’s position of inspiration and incarnation, which sees both human and divine authorship as key to a well-founded description of inspiration. Perhaps Pete Enns’ Inspiration and Incarnation and John Goldingay’s (in OT Theology Vol 1) examples of how Joshua’s concept of herem is repeatedly questioned and subverted elsewhere in Joshua itself and elsewhere in Scripture could provide helpful dialogue partners for Dan in future research.

Thanks! Much appreciated, and I would like to look into this. Here, my goal was to try to approach this in a way that doesn't appeal to many higher-order theological concepts...I wanted to stay close to the exegetical ground, and pursue a rather minimal kind of argument. However, I think that any earnest theological evaluation of my humble exegetical suggestion needs to engage with higher-order theological concepts. (For example: "In what ways is the Word like the Word?") I hope to go in this direction in the future, and turn the central argument of this paper into something more than a cute little observation about the surprising potentials of "main and plain" reading. Based on my engagement with Enns' work so far, I think my approach will critique and tweak some aspects of his theology...possibly going in a similar direction, but by very different routes. And our different routes might always lead us to very different places altogether.

MiriamJoy

• Regular Poster

more info...

• Listen, Learn, Serve, Share
    • Nurses International
  • Academic discipline: Sciences
  • Organization: Nurses International
  • Church: Mercy Vineyard

@Daniel L Heck  on page 18, you write, "The God revealed in the Old Testament is either rather pliable, or is willing to issue a command so that it can be reversed."

I wonder if the "in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die" is another example of the saying to unsay - they didn't die on that day, but rather many hundreds of years later.

Why might God say to unsay? Perhaps, to show his love and mercy and to highlight the differences between Yahweh and other ANE deities.

Maybe, this goes to a bit of what Beth mentioned regarding the subversive and surprising ways that nation building is described in Joshua itself, the peoples being driven out by hornets, for instance?

Daniel L Heck

more info...

Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the question, Miriam :)

Yes, I think that is possible! I'd love to see the idea explored and fleshed out more fully.

Here are a few thoughts that might be useful in that direction:

I used "saying to unsay" to try to capture a set of more specific ideas in a very wide net. Here are a few types of that which I think a good author might use, which are examples of "saying to unsay":

*As a good teacher, a didactic author might put out an idea with the intent of letting a student disconfirm it
*As a good teacher, a didactic author might put out an idea that is a good first approximation, but which acquires nuance later
*As a good storyteller, a good author might tell a story in which one thing happens, and then another very different thing happens, simply because you have to do that to tell a story ... and the ultimate meaning is only apparent from looking at the series of events. Foreshadowing is one way to link story elements in a way that shows intentionality on the author's part, creates suspense, and invites connection between elements for the hearer of the story.
*A good storyteller will introduce antagonism and possibly allow it to be overcome (all or in part) because this is central to good storytelling.

Since you've been reading According to Folly, I'll just note that I explore some of the ideas in this paper (and some of the ideas that didn't make it into the paper, but which started me down the road writing it) in the two chapters on genocide and, to some degree, in the one on the problem of evil.

On the particular passage, I'd tend to see a kind of 'saying to unsay' in the way scripture answers the problem of 'that day(period of time)' with an age (the Messianic age) in the course of the scriptural narrative. I imagine that 'in that day' can refer to a general period of time, much like aion refers to a period of time. So I'd ask myself this question: how does Scripture move from that day to this age, in its broad narrative arc? (And in the context of this paper, I'd want to ask: who is the narrator of the creation account in Genesis supposed to be? I don't think we can answer that one terribly clearly, but I'd consider it an essential question; I think it creates a kind of distance that lets us explore the historical context of the text more clearly. In According to Folly, I largely explore this in the context of evolutionary biology, but this approach is also helpful in how I read that death passage. And yes, to a substantial degree I take the explosive potential of this paper, and put it in the service of the fairly common evangelical project of reading scripture in historical context...when I ask 'who is the narrator?', one of the most productive types of answers usually involves understanding their historical context.)

For my part, I think that in context, it makes all the sense in the world to read the creation account as some kind of critical response to the Enuma Elish and to the Babylonian cultures that built empires out of faith in that story. And to them and the pharoahs who claimed immortality, part of the message of 'death' here is something that we find explicitly elsewhere in scripture: kings and emperors, even those who claim to be gods or the embodiment of gods, will not see their reigns extend forever. Instead, their empires, built on the toil of men and the sexual subjugation of women and their child-bearing power, will only endure for a while (maybe a day? even if it is a thousand-yearish kinda of day), but God's ultimate answer to them will endure forever. I can pull up some sources for this kind of reading, which contextualizes Genesis in the ANE and the history of the Jewish people, noticing the way that the genre and context give it a substantial collective dimension that we largely miss when we read it at a far historical remove, in a highly individualistic culture.

I'm also working (slowly) on a bigger project that considers Jonathan Haidt's work on moral foundations theory, looking at the way natural human morality (moral knowledge - knowledge of good and evil) binds and blinds us into large-scale groups (kingdoms, nations, empires). I think that Haidt is a very good moral psychologist, and a pretty crummy philosopher, and that it is worthwhile to more critically examine the moral foundations that he beautifully studies; ultimately, I think that our natural moral foundations are incredibly beautiful, but also broken in ways that make it easy for them to foster large-scale cruelty and abuse. So whatever else it includes (and I think Genesis includes and does more than I can imagine!), it is, in part, a framework for understanding the relationship between the flawed way in which human moral perception was formed, the way that helps create empires and states that engage in activities like genocide (by seeing it as a moral good), and God's assurance that these things will not endure forever, even if it seems that they will, as they perpetuate themselves from one generation to the next, often amid claims that its rulers are immortal. In that context, I can't help but notice that the story the Bible tells about Israel (as state) is one of failure in its genocidal project, in which it ultimately becomes Pharoah-like (see Herod), and is ultimately also brought to an end. But that's only a part of the story :)

MiriamJoy

• Regular Poster

more info...

• Listen, Learn, Serve, Share
    • Nurses International
  • Academic discipline: Sciences
  • Organization: Nurses International
  • Church: Mercy Vineyard

@Daniel L Heck  thank you!!! I plan to reply more thoroughly, but I would like to finish your book first. I'm about 1/3 of the way finished and learning a ton! :)

Tags: