Christian Not Catholic: Third-wave Pentecostalism and the Vatican Exodus

Started by Corey Farr, July 05, 2018, 03:19 PM (Read 1707 times)

Tags:

Corey Farr

• Occasional Poster

more info...

• IP: Logged
Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 06:09 PM by Jon Stovell

Abstract:

For this paper, I conducted seven interviews with some of these former Roman Catholics; my intent is to analyze these for common narrative threads that indicate the parts of the so-called “Third Wave” Pentecostal movement in the 1970s, ’80s, and ‘90s that so resonated with those raised as Catholics. I will look at two of these threads specifically: a “personal relationship” with God/Jesus, and reading the Bible. In the second part of the paper, I will look at two distinct yet overlapping movements within the Catholic Church that indicate a positive response to the evangelical charismatic movement: the Catholic Charismatic Renewal and the New Evangelization of Pope John Paul II. Finally, I will look at this as a millennial and suggest that we have much to learn by letting go of the anti-Catholic, anti-liturgical bias of our predecessors.

The full paper is attached to this post.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Corey Farr. Christian, Not Catholic - Third Wave Pentecostalism and the Vatican Exodus.pdf

Tags: