Bearing Scars into Glory

Started by Jon Stovell, February 12, 2019, 03:46 PM (Read 3543 times)

Tags:

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

• Academic discipline: Systematic theology
  • Organization: Vineyard Canada
  • Church: North Calgary Vineyard
  • IP: Logged
Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 03:56 PM

Abstract:

Human identity is formed in large part by the historical, social, and geographical situation in which a person lives, and thus the Christian hope for eschatological glorification of human beings cannot be separated from hope for eschatological glorification of creation as a whole. However, this also means that the Christian eschatological hope presents a potential problem regarding human identity and ontology. The world and all who live in it are indelibly marked by our history of brokenness and subjection to evil. For example, a war refugee’s identity is forever shaped by being a war refugee; even if she finds complete wholeness from any physical, spiritual, or psychological pain and damage that her experience caused, having been a war refugee will remain part of her own history and identity. But if the advent of the kingdom of God is to accomplish the goal of bringing a fallen world into eschatological glory, the evil that afflicts creation must be brought to an end. This raises a significant question: if at least some elements of human identity arise from internal and external conditions of brokenness1 in which a person lives, and eschatological glorification will bring an end to all brokenness in creation, how will glorification not amount to the destruction of a person’s identity and its replacement by some other identity?

This paper argues that glorification does not involve the elimination of broken elements of our identities, but rather their transfiguration. This transfiguration becomes possible only as humanity’s creaturely finitude is turned from its un-graced natural tendency towards non-being into a graced eschatological potential for fuller being. The Son’s assumption of finitude in its current mode of mortality allowed him to change it into eschatological potentiality. It is this subversion/conversion of mortality into eschatological potentiality that enables glorification of humans and all creation to occur without destroying our contextually informed identities.

1 The term “brokenness” is used here as a shorthand for the idea of destructive, painful, or damaging conditions or situations that arise as consequences of moral or natural evils. In this regard, “brokenness” is to be carefully distinguished from the concept of “fallenness,” where the latter is understood to refer to tendencies to perpetrate evils. The Christian eschatological hope also involves the elimination of fallenness, of course, but that is a distinct matter from the topic of this paper.

The full paper is attached to this post.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Jon Stovell. Bearing Scars into Glory - On the Problem of Identity Continuity in the Eschaton and the Relational Ontology of Human Being.pdf

Billie Hoard

• SVS Member
  • Prolific Poster

more info...

• My Blog - Heaven and Earth Questions
  • Academic discipline: Philosophy

So... have you managed to work out whether transsexual transgender people will be trans, cis-according-to-their-identified-gender, or cis-according-to-the-gender-they-were-assigned-at-birth yet? Just checking in...

"Be comforted, small immortals. You are not the voice that all things utter, nor is there eternal silence in the places where you cannot come."
       - C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

• Academic discipline: Systematic theology
  • Organization: Vineyard Canada
  • Church: North Calgary Vineyard

I don't think the answer to that regarding any particular person falls within my purview of knowledge, let alone of decision. ;)

Still, it is a most insightful question.

Billie Hoard

• SVS Member
  • Prolific Poster

more info...

• My Blog - Heaven and Earth Questions
  • Academic discipline: Philosophy

Yeah, this is exactly the sort of theological anthropology which I a) find incredibly important and fascinating and b) am having a hell of a time finding decent resources on. I am definitely open to resource recommendations but there is an incredibly frustrating paucity of material on trans or gender identity which gets into metaphysical or ontological theory. Some of the best current transgender philosophy I have been able to find seems to be pushing in a political philosophical direction (concerns based mostly around what will *work* to describe and defend trans experiences and identities) rather than a metaphysical or ontological direction. Meanwhile most of the theological work I can find seems to be more apologetic or hermeneutic in nature (both can be good—just not what I am looking for). OK enough whining. Got any recommendations for people doing rigorous theological work around the intersection of gender, human (and/or divine) incarnation, and theological anthropology preferably (but not necessarily) from a Christian perspective?

"Be comforted, small immortals. You are not the voice that all things utter, nor is there eternal silence in the places where you cannot come."
       - C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Tags: