The 'Spirit of Jesus'? A Proposal for a Christological Perspective for Vineyard…

Started by Steve Burnhope, April 23, 2015, 08:53 AM (Read 1619 times)

Tags:

Steve Burnhope

• Prolific Poster

more info...

• PhD (King's College London). MA Hermeneutics (LST)
  • Academic discipline: Systematic theology
  • Church: Aylesbury Vineyard Church, UK
  • IP: Logged
Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 08:56 AM by Jon Stovell
"The 'Spirit of Jesus'? A Proposal for a Christological Perspective for Vineyard Pneumatology"

Jesus, be the centre – be my source, be my light, Jesus.
Jesus, be my vision – be my path, be my guide, Jesus.
Michael Frye, ‘Be The Centre’, © 1999 Vineyard Songs (UK/Eire).

The New Testament encourages us to 'test the spirits' (1 Jn. 4:1-3) and, specifically with regard to the prophetic, to 'hold on to what is good' (1 Thess. 5:20-22). However, it provides relatively few specific points of reference for such testing and for determining what constitutes 'good'.

Vineyard praxis has tended to promote values such as modesty and provisionality in prophetic delivery and the avoidance of ‘hype’ in Holy Spirit ministry; it has also eschewed some of the more extreme manifestations attributed to the Spirit. But from where do these ideas originate? Does what 'seems good to us and the Holy Spirit' simply reflect Vineyard’s roots in the Quaker movement and laid-back Californian culture? On what systematic theological basis might one attempt to articulate and validate Vineyard thinking?

This paper suggests that, in its existing values, the Vineyard movement is already unconsciously viewing the person and work of the Holy Spirit through a christological lens founded in scripture. We will argue that this pre-existing tendency can be more explicitly articulated to provide us with a theological compass for navigating experiences and expectations of the Spirit in this world.

The full paper is attached to this post as a PDF.

Note from administrator: Your SVS membership dues must be up to date in order to see the attached file.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Stephen Burnhope. The 'Spirit of Jesus'? A Proposal for a Christological Perspective for Vineyard Pneumatology.pdf

Tags: