Theology Pub: Reflections from a Laboratory of Love

Started by Peter Benedict, April 23, 2015, 09:08 AM (Read 3890 times)

Tags:

Peter Benedict

• Prolific Poster

more info...

• IP: Logged
Theology Pub: Reflections from a Laboratory of Love

In 2009 River Heights Vineyard Church launched Theology Pub, a monthly book club for anyone interested in reading a book with theological implications. We have held to a reading schedule wherein a third of our books are orthodox, pulling us toward grounding in the historical church or mainstream evangelical orthodoxy (e.g. “The Confessions of St. Augustine”); a third of our books are progressive or radical, pushing the boundaries for our community in some way (e.g. Marin [2009] “Love is an Orientation”); and a third follow whatever theme members feel the Holy Spirit has been inviting us to explore (racial reconciliation, work, sexuality, etc.).

Some members reported feeling this group represents their closest relationships in the church; others report their joy in having a place for academic engagement in a generally working class community. It is this author’s contention that Theology Pub has been a laboratory of love for the theologically inclined, giving us room to learn and to be formed together in humility and service to God and one another.

The full paper is attached to this post as a PDF.

Note from administrator: Your SVS membership dues must be up to date in order to see the attached file.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Peter Benedict. Theology Pub - Reflections from a Laboratory of Love.pdf

Billie Hoard

• SVS Member
  • Prolific Poster

more info...

• My Blog - Heaven and Earth Questions
  • Academic discipline: Philosophy

That sounds like crazy fun and reading through your paper (we talked some but I missed your presentation) has me itching to get involved in something like this. Have you interacted with any of the ideas behind Socrates Cafe http://www.philosopher.org/Socrates_Cafe.html or the seminar model at St. Johns College www.sjca.edu ?

One thing I sort of wonder about is the overall approach of the leaders. As pastors I imagine the temptation to make sure that the discussion leads to the "right" conclusions has to be pretty strong. How do y'all navigate/manage that temptation? Also do you find members looking to you in the midst of discussion expecting you to call out wrong views or conclusions that other members are reaching?

"Be comforted, small immortals. You are not the voice that all things utter, nor is there eternal silence in the places where you cannot come."
       - C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Geoff Glenister

• Regular Poster

more info...

• My Blog
  • Academic discipline: Unspecified
  • Church: Vineyard Chattanooga

Peter - we met at the conference, but I didn't get to hear your presentation.  However, I wanted to let you know I like your paper.  I've sent it along to my pastor to see if he'll be interested in combining it with the Pub Theology group we've got going.

- Geoff
My Blog

Peter Benedict

• Prolific Poster

more info...

Bill: We're largely free of that temptation... although in the first year, it was stronger than it is now. That said, we've had situations where someone on staff pushed hard enough that it was probably overboard. That situation was addressed similarly to our other conflicts: By providing some structure/safety in the moment, and by addressing it afterward with those involved.

I think it'd be difficult to run a Theo Pub with a pastor/leader whose goal was to distribute right thinking. It's been pretty fruitful to run it with a goal of learning from one another and listening well.

When Caleb, during the presentation, asked what our greatest triumph and grandest catastrophe have been, my answer to the latter addresses some of your final question. As background, we read Haidt's "The Righteous Mind" at one point, and he defines liberals/conservatives along five moral dimensions. Liberals care significantly about care/harm and fairness/inequality. Conservatives care equally about those two equally with loyalty, authority, and purity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_Foundations_Theory works as a primer if this is interesting to you).

Our greatest failure? No one temperamentally conservative has stayed in Theo Pub. Members who are uncomfortable with impure ideas, or ideas critical to our movement or faith or church, feel threatened, and none who fit that description have stayed for longer than eight months. We have a variety of political views represented (liberal, conservative, libertarian, non-voting, etc.), but temperamentally, those of us who regularly attend are all unthreatened by differing views/conclusions.

I imagine it's possible to run a Theo Pub with an emphasis on right views, but that'd produce (very) different results than the group we've become.

Geoff: I would be glad to be of service to you & your pastor, if that's possible. Thanks for the encouragement!

MiriamJoy

• Regular Poster

more info...

• Listen, Learn, Serve, Share
    • Nurses International
  • Academic discipline: Sciences
  • Organization: Nurses International
  • Church: Mercy Vineyard

@Peter Benedict  the longevity of Theo Pub is striking! Thanks for explicating the goals of this kind of group, and thanks for welcoming non-attenders. It's the best night of my month. :-)

Tags: