Jesus’ Critique of Reproductive Futurism

Started by Luke Grote, April 23, 2015, 08:10 PM (Read 2479 times)

Tags:

Luke Grote

• Occasional Poster

more info...

• IP: Logged

Matthew 10:34-36 has long been read either as a description of the worldly consequences of choosing to follow Jesus or evidence that Jesus was far more revolutionary than has been commonly thought. I will side with the second group of readers, but I hope to do so in a way that fleshes out the sort of revolutionary the Matthean Jesus was, as well as what exactly he was trying to revolutionize. I will do so with the help of queer theorist Lee Edelman (and, by association, to Jacques Lacan as well). In his celebrated book No Future: Queer Theory and the Death Drive, Edelman argues that our culture is driven by a reproductive futurism focused on the figure of the “Child.” This Child, situated in the future, is the focal point of discourses of heteronormative progress (“We need to do this for the children;” “What kind of world will our children inherit?”). By making the Child the telos of our striving, the culture of reproduction that engenders children is both privileged and protected, and the emptiness at the heart of the signifier, within whose economy this preference is played out, is denied. The future-fixed present actually ends up being rooted in an Imaginary, mythical past whose influence yields a vision of tomorrow that only renders the present reiterative.

The full paper is attached to this post as a PDF.

Note from administrator: Your SVS membership dues must be up to date in order to see the attached file.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Luke Grote. Jesus’ Critique of Reproductive Futurism.pdf

Tags: