Money, Business and Secular Work in Vineyard Discourse

Started by Byron Elliott, April 27, 2015, 12:35 AM (Read 5047 times)

Tags:

Byron Elliott

• SVS Member
  • Occasional Poster

more info...

• Academic discipline: Unspecified
  • Organization: Technip, USA
  • Church: Katy Vineyard Church
  • IP: Logged

The paper is an analysis of how frequently the topics of money, business and secular work are discussed in Vineyard discourse.  This paper drew from three sources: official releases from Vineyard USA; sermons from Vineyard pastors; and the papers from Society of Vineyard Scholars conferences of the past.  The texts were mined for 33 different key words, plus variants, with instances of the words used in different meaning removed (for example, key-word corporate would be filtered out if it refers to corporate worship).  The data was analyzed for frequency and themes that emerged, and then compared to other groups of texts, including the Bible; homilies, encyclicals and exhortations from the last three popes of the Catholic Church; and a collection of Christian documents from the last 17 centuries.

The full paper is attached to this post as a PDF.

Note from administrator: Your SVS membership dues must be up to date in order to see the attached file.

This post has 2 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Byron Elliot. Money, Business and Secular Work in Vineyard Church Discourse.pdf
Byron Elliot. Speaking notes for Money, Business and Secular Work in Vineyard Church Discourse.pdf

Billie Hoard

• SVS Member
  • Prolific Poster

more info...

• My Blog - Heaven and Earth Questions
  • Academic discipline: Philosophy

Hey Byron, I really like how this paper works (among other things) as an invitation to discourse on our theologies of work and economics.

I would love to see how your studies play out in mainline and evangelical protestant contexts respectively (maybe start with Lutherans and Southern Baptists) but I have to imagine that entails an enormous undertaking.

Do you have some potential starting points on what a Vineyardish theology of work might look like? I know in the seminar we talked about the distinction between seeing "non-ministry" jobs as sacred because they are a chance to smuggle evangelism into a secular environment and seeing them as sacred because their own stated goals and products (teaching world history, enhancing human communication, employing otherwise unemployed persons, healing the sick etc.) are themselves integral to accomplishing the work of Christ. I would love to see those thoughts fleshed out and discussed here!

"Be comforted, small immortals. You are not the voice that all things utter, nor is there eternal silence in the places where you cannot come."
       - C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Byron Elliott

• SVS Member
  • Occasional Poster

more info...

• Academic discipline: Unspecified
  • Organization: Technip, USA
  • Church: Katy Vineyard Church

Bill,
I'm interested to see if there are significant variations between different denominations, and yes, that will take awhile.  I plan on continuing to work on this, but won't likely be devoting the same concentration of time I have the past 3 months or so.
As far as a Vineyard-ish theology of work, I don't think we really have one at the moment, though the general "Kingdom of God / already but not yet" gives the potential to combine a protological theology of work with an eschatological yearning with a recognition of the continuing reality of the fall, or at least a starting point to combine the reality of the fall with eschatological hopes.  Maybe what it's missing is a way to tie it all back to original Genesis creation mandates, which I think is essential for a balanced theology of work.

I am kind of trying to work my way slowly down that path, particularly with my second paper, but it was just a start.  As I go through this, I have lots of areas for which I continually need to improve my knowledge to be able to continue fruitful inquiry.  I probably need to dig more into "Kingdom of God" to take my next step or maybe pneumatology.

I think I've noticed strains of protological and eschatological within the church discourse, though generally not together.  More left-leaning churches seem to tend toward eschatological and right more protological.  I certainly think both are needed, plus a little more.

One of the things that I need to end up with is something that can distinguish "valid" work from "invalid" work.  It's not enough to be able to say that secular work (or "sacred" work) CAN be good and part of the work of the Kingdom, but to be able to understand what it is that makes work valuable.  I think Miroslav Volf and Darrell Cosden each offers interesting paths to explore.  They are both a bit speculative, but interesting.   

Jon Stovell

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster

more info...

• Academic discipline: Systematic theology
  • Organization: Vineyard Canada
  • Church: North Calgary Vineyard

That sounds like it could be really fruitful, @Byron Elliott. As you talk about linking the protological and the eschatological in relation to a theology of work, I can't help but think that @Aaron Blue's paper this year. I strongly suspect that a cross-pollination or even collaboration on ideas between the two of you could be very generative for both of you.

Billie Hoard

• SVS Member
  • Prolific Poster

more info...

• My Blog - Heaven and Earth Questions
  • Academic discipline: Philosophy

@Byron Elliott I love it! I was struck by the two different meta-narratives Christians are inclined to use (Garden - Fall - Redemption - Return to Garden) and (Garden - Fall - Redemption - City), and I wonder how that might play into your integration of kingdom theology and the Genesis creation mandates. Still working through your earlier papers but I am excited about this work :p

"Be comforted, small immortals. You are not the voice that all things utter, nor is there eternal silence in the places where you cannot come."
       - C.S. Lewis, Perelandra

Tags: