Thinking with the Church about Dependence: A Response to "Ethics at the Beginni…

Started by Janna Gonwa, April 28, 2015, 12:10 PM (Read 1639 times)

Tags:

Janna Gonwa

• Occasional Poster

more info...

• IP: Logged
Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:11 PM by Jon Stovell

James Mumford hopes that the phenomenological approach he takes in his book Ethics at the Beginning of Life will help the Church think through the issue of abortion by exposing the philosophical incoherence of standard pro-choice arguments, which are founded on problematic conceptions of autonomy. Phenomenology does well to challenge the liberal myth of the autonomous subject (insofar as it does), the fiction that I am primarily an independent thinking being responsible for my own self and capable of forming my own opinions in a vacuum of singular objectivity. This fiction has pervaded much of Western philosophy and has strongly influenced the ideals of citizenship that are the basis of the American legal and political systems. As James points out with some help from Heidegger, the fiction of independent subjecthood is just that—a fiction that ignores large parts of the human experience and that distorts other parts.

The full paper is attached to this post as a PDF.

Note from administrator: Your SVS membership dues must be up to date in order to see the attached file.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Janna Gonwa. Thinking with the Church about Dependence - A Response to James Mumford’s Ethics at the Beginning of Life.pdf

Tags: