Sacramentally Sent: Reading John 9.1-41 as Baptismal Witness

Started by Andrew Ray Williams, January 29, 2018, 02:59 PM (Read 909 times)

Tags:

Andrew Ray Williams

• Occasional Poster

more info...

• IP: Logged

Abstract:

This paper sets out to provide a literary/theological reading of one scriptural text—John 9.1-41. The text I have selected to consider is purposely one whose sacramentality is embedded, rather than explicit. I begin first with attention to the literary context of the passage, moving to the major theme of washing in the Fourth Gospel, and then I progress to read it literarily and theologically, concluding with implications for Renewal theological reflection on the Christian rite of baptism. The reading will 1) offer a model for how Renewalists can read water baptism texts, 2) aid in the development of a move towards thinking deeply about what a Renewal theology of water baptism might look like and lastly, 3) hopefully contribute something to the greater ecumenical conversation on how texts can be read sacramentally.

The full paper is attached to this post.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Andrew Ray Williams. Sacramentally Sent - Reading John 9-1-41 as Baptismal Witness.pdf

Tags: