Anti-Pentecost and Healthcare: Hearing the voice of the poor in rural Guatemala

Started by Brent Henderson, January 29, 2018, 03:40 PM (Read 860 times)

Tags:

Brent Henderson

• SVS Member
  • Prolific Poster

more info...

• Organization: University of Florida
  • Church: The Vineyard of Gainesville
  • IP: Logged

Abstract:

The Acts 2 Pentecost event was radically affirming of cultural and linguistic diversity as well as being a present event representative of a future in which every nation, tribe and tongue worships God together (Revelation 7). A complete theology of enacted eschatology, then, must include efforts to address injustice rooted in linguistic and cultural marginalization. Such “anti-pentecost” experiences are common throughout the world. Unfortunately, efforts to address economic and social injustice through development (often led by faith-based organizations) frequently reinforce and strengthen the anti- pentecost reality of indigenous people, something I argue is spiritually harmful. As an alternative model, I offer the work of Maya Health Alliance, a healthcare NGO in Guatemala that addresses the healthcare needs of the rural poor in culturally and linguistically responsible ways. It’s founding principles are radically hospitable, requiring that health providers be able to communicate in the language of the patient (typically Kaqchikel and Kich’ee). I share some of the results of implementing this model over the past 10 years, illustrating how it has led both to better healthcare outcomes as well as the maintenance and revitalization of language and culture in the communities of our 20,000 patients. I argue that present neo-liberal models of national development practices make attention to these principles all the more urgent.

The full paper is attached to this post.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Brent Henderson. Anti-Pentecost and Healthcare - hearing the voice of the poor in rural Guatemala.pdf

Tags: