Eschatology and Ecology: Prolepsis and Participation

Started by Frank Emanuel, June 26, 2018, 07:02 AM (Read 970 times)

Tags:

Frank Emanuel

• Hero Poster

more info...

• Where the Spirit of God is, there is freedom!
    • The Eclectic Life
  • Academic discipline: Systematic theology
  • Organization: Saint Paul University
  • Church: Vineyard Ottawa
  • IP: Logged
Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 02:03 AM by Jon Stovell

Abstract:

Evangelical Christians sometimes raise concerns about addressing ecological injustice in a world that is passing away. Our eschatological vision has a definite impact on our capacity for engaging with contemporary issues. This is particularly true regarding those issues that are hard to connect to our mainly anthropocentric concerns. Even when evangelicals do engage in addressing social injustices our engagement is often with little attention to building a future that includes the world God created. This paper will use an inaugurated-enacted Kingdom theology as a corrective to overly futurist eschatologies that struggle to engender legitimate ecological concern. This Kingdom theology will also be used as proof against an overly realized eschatology that can become indifferent to an eschatological hope for our future. My proposal is an eschatological vision for deep ecological engagement as a form of participating with the Father’s ongoing redemptive work in the world (cosmos) that God so loves.

The full paper is attached to this post.

This post has 1 attachment(s) that you cannot view or download. Please join SVS, and then try again.
Frank Emanuel. Eschatology and Ecology - Prolepsis and Participation.pdf
-----
Frank L. Emanuel, Ph.D.
Sessional Professor Saint Paul University
Communications Officer Canadian Theological Society
opinons expressed reflect my own personal views and not those of any of the organizations I represent.

Tags: